Yesterday Bryce’s class made graham cracker gingerbread houses. It’s a very fun, inexpensive holiday project (and yummy too!)
Here’s what you will need to make your own:
- Single serving milk carton, emptied and washed (this acts like the foundation for the structure)
- White icing (store bought, use the recipe below, or your own recipe)
- Graham cracker squares (8 per house)
- An assortment of candies to decorate with
- 8x10 cardboard covered in tin foil (optional) (to make the gingerbread house on)
1 Batch of Royal Icing recipe
2 egg whites (large size)
3 3/4 cups icing sugar
5 ml water
In an electric mixer, mix the water and egg whites with 3 cups of icing sugar. Beat at low speed for 3 minutes, and then beat at high speed for 2 minutes. Keep a damp cloth over the bowl to prevent hardening.
There are a ton of different icing recipes but the one listed above is what we used (and it worked out pretty well.)
If you’ve made a gingerbread house, take a picture of it, like us on Facebook and post it on our wall! We’d love to see it!
Thanks for reading,